Seasonal Affective Disorder
At AgeLess Medical, we hear a lot about Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) this time of year and sadly, many people struggle with this type of depression that is related to a change in the seasons. For many, symptoms start during the Fall and continue through the Winter months.
The Mayo Clinic identifies the following symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder:
- Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight, especially craving for foods high in
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Difficulty concentrating
- Heavy, “leaden” feeling in the arms or legs
- Thoughts of suicide
- Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day for two weeks or more
- Feeling hopeless or worthless
- Having low energy / Sleep struggles
- Loss of interest in activities that you typically enjoy
There are treatment options and lifestyle changes that can greatly reduce the severity of symptoms associated with SAD. Read on to learn more.
Light Therapy: With this type of therapy, you sit next to a light therapy box that emits artificial light believed to affect certain chemicals in the brain that can ease the symptoms of SAD. You can purchase your own light therapy box here.
Dawn simulators: These are devices that serve as alarm clocks and emit light that gradually increases in intensity, it’s like having your own sunshine in the comfort of your bedroom. No loud beeping or loud music, but bright light to start your day may also reduce symptoms of SAD. More info can be found here.
Get Outside: – While frigid temperatures can sometimes make this difficult, take advantage of unseasonably warmer days and go outside for a walk or just sit and soak up the sun or even the clouds, this can greatly reduce symptoms of SAD. The Mayo Clinic recommends to receive the most benefit spend some time outside within two hours of waking up. Creating a brighter environment by opening blinds and sitting close to windows can also help.
Exercise and Eat Healthfully
Exercise and eat healthfully: This may go without saying, but ensuring you are eating healthy and getting adequate exercise are critical in managing stress and overall mood and well-being.
Supplements: Talk with your doctor about trying a supplement such as St. John’s Wort. AgeLess Medical offers a variety of herbal supplements that may help to reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress which can exacerbate SAD. **Before using any supplement, talk with your primary care physician to determine what would be the best option for you.**
Sleep better: Not getting enough rest can also enhance symptoms of SAD. If you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or waking frequently at night, schedule an appointment with our mental health counselor and get started with our program to beat insomnia. Give AgeLess Medical a call at 607.846.3690 to schedule.
Counseling: Stress and a previous diagnosis of depression or anxiety can worsen symptoms associated with SAD, seeing a mental health counselor who can provide additional strategies for managing stress, anxiety and depression can also help. Take control of your health and get back on track with your body.
With all of the information above, you have nothing to lose by trying some of these steps to feel better during our long winters. AgeLess Medical is here to help with any questions you may have!
Dealing With Anxiety
Sometimes Anxiety is useful, but…
Anxiety, while a necessity for our survival, is what causes us to look both ways before crossing a busy street, for many, this emotion can spiral out of control and have staggering effects on our physical and emotional health.
How Can We Effectively Combat Anxiety?
Most of us are aware of exercises such as deep breathing and meditation that can ease anxiety, but did you know that things like massage and acupuncture can also help with anxiety?
Read on to learn more.
- Acupuncture: A recent comprehensive literature review in Neuroscience and Therapeutics showed that acupuncture was just as effective as cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of anxiety. Acupuncture is an ancient form of Chinese Medicine that works at stimulating various points on the body to correct any imbalance in the flow
of energy. You can read more here.
Interested in giving acupuncture a try, we provide this treatment at AgeLess Medical, give us a call at 607.846.3960 to learn more.
- Massage Therapy: Far from just a luxury treatment at a spa, massage therapy has been shown to offer many health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety. By reducing stress, which can exacerbate anxiety, massage can instill a sense of peace and calm and also help to disengage the body from the fight or flight response that can often trigger anxiety and even panic attacks. Schedule a massage at either of our locations today, your body and mind, will thank you!
AgeLess Spa at Radisson Hotel Corning, NY: 607.684.6121
AgeLess Integrative Medical Spa, Horseheads, NY: 607.846.3962
- Coloring: It’s not just a favorite pastime for kids, coloring can also help to reduce anxiety. Our brain treats coloring like meditation which as we know, can greatly reduce anxiety. There are a host of other benefits to coloring that you can read about here. You can find such books at your local Target, Barnes and Noble and Walmart. You can also find them online, take some time, unwind and color your worries away!
- Aromatherapy: Certain scents, especially lavender, can have a very calming effect. Diffuse them in your home or carry some with you. We offer an assortment of essential oils in our Boutiques.
- Check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies: Certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies can exacerbate symptoms of anxiety and depression as well. While blood work ordered by your doctor can help to determine any potential deficiencies, you may wish to complete a Systems Survey here. This survey asks about several symptoms and can provide helpful information in respect to areas of functioning that could benefit from an extra boost with a supplement from our Standard Process line. Complete the survey and drop off at our Horseheads location Monday-Friday and we’d be happy to score and review the survey with you.
We hope you find this list helpful; do you have any lesser known or surprising ways to reduce anxiety or worry? We’d love to hear from you!
The New Year And Your Weight Loss Resolution
The New Year is here, and with it, your weight loss resolution and resolutions for self improvement. For many, the chief resolution being to lose weight is soon followed by the resolution that it can’t be done.
At AgeLess we’ll tell you it can be done.
There is only ONE WAY to lose weight….YOUR WAY!
What does that mean? It means that the primary reasons for being overweight are not related to self control and overeating and calories!
It’s about GENETICS
And its about METABOLISM.
Genetics we can’t help you with, you’re already born.
Metabolism is a different story. We can measure it carefully, and check out the hormonal values that affect it (things like thyroid hormone, vitamin D, and insulin levels) and then we can help you OPTIMIZE it.
Do you have to eat differently? Sure you do, while you’re trying to lose weight.
Do you have to be hungry all the time? Not at all, in fact that is extremely counterproductive.
Do you have to take pills? No, and probably you should take FEWER pills.
Instead, we’ll focus on 3 simple tasks:
- Measure and help optimize your metabolism
Advise you on food choices and patterns (Eat ‘Human Foods’… meat, green vegetables growing above the ground, fruits, nuts and water)
Appetite control, primarily from the types of foods and patterns of eating, but with supplements like green tea (the most widely studied appetite suppressant), or gymnema, or garcinia cambogia, and if needed, medical appetite suppressants.
Once YOU are in the drivers seat, once YOU are in control, you’ll see exactly what we mean at AgeLess when we say…
There’s only ONE WAY to lose weight…YOUR WAY!
Have a look at our Weight Management Page, or give us a call at 607-846-3960.
It’s 2016. This is YOUR year.